5 Myths About Being A Working Mom

Workingmom2

This past week, I have read a lot of posts on social media about the difficulties and triumphs of being a Working Mom.  Many of them make me chuckle seeing as how I can relate since I have juggled a career since I became a mother eleven years ago.  However, I have also found that some people have the wrong idea about what Working Moms experience on a daily basis.

Although we are driven to excel in our careers, we also have the same concerns about parenting and our families that all mothers have.  After all, being a mom is a lot of work whether you add working outside the home to that equation or not.  This post is definitely not about whether Stay At Home Moms or Working Moms have it easier or harder than one another.  In my mind, it is a given that all moms work hard.

workingmom1

The purpose of this post is just to debunk some of the myths about Working Moms that I have been reading lately…  So, without further ado, here are 5 myths that are completely wrong about women juggling motherhood and working full-time:

• We don’t want to raise our own children:  This is just ridiculous.  There has not been one doctor’s appointment, emergency room visit, or middle of the night fever that I have not personally tended to.  The only difference is that extended family supports me during the day with certain things like picking my boys up from school or dropping them off in the morning.
  • All we care about is earning money:  Nobody can deny that raising children can be very expensive.  Most moms who work do so to for a variety of reasons including reaching financial security, to divide financial responsibilities between both parents, and because they genuinely enjoy working outside the home.
  • Children of Working Moms lack affection and attention:  As a matter of fact, kids whose mothers work outside the home have the unique opportunity of not only receiving love and socializing with their parents.  They also get a lot of affection and support from extended family as well as childcare providers.   This also includes other children in daycare and school settings.
  • Working Moms are selfish and put their needs before those of their kids:  Personally, I couldn’t think of a more selfless task.  It is not easy to leave your children while you go to work every morning.  Hearing them cry because they don’t want you to leave is heartbreaking.  However, we put our kids first and make sure that we do what we have to do to make sure that we are providing them with every possible opportunity to have great lives.  This is universal to all mothers.
  • We pay other people to clean our homes:  While there is nothing wrong with hiring someone to help with housekeeping and other duties, most Working Moms tend to these tasks themselves.  I have never hired anyone to clean my home and have always assumed all of these responsibilities myself.  If I ever do decide to hire someone to do so, however, I will definitely not feel guilty about it whatsoever.

Just to be clear, being a mom is hard despite being extremely rewarding at the same time.  Working Moms just happen to have unique situations, when it comes to parenting, that require a little more creativity and planning.  In the end, our children are just as loved, just as cared for, and just as happy as any other children.

Let’s Discuss:  What do you think are some additional myths about Working Mothers that society has?

© 2015, Tough Cookie Mommy. All rights reserved.

Comments

1. Robin (Masshole Mommy) says:

I was a working mom for a while and it was tough to balance everything. I think unless you walk in someone else’s shoes, you can’t weigh in. Everyone’s circumstances are different.

2. As a wah mom, my circle of friends includes more sahms than working moms, and I’ll say this: I know more sahms who hire someone to clean their house than I do working moms who pay someone to clean their house. A lot of women I know pay someone to help out once or twice a month and try to keep it under wraps. I personally don’t really think it’s anything to be ashamed of or to judge other moms about. Everyone is different and everyone lives with different circumstances, and if a mom (sah or working) needs help cleaning her house, big deal. 🙂

• Robin (Masshole Mommy) says:

Same here. I stay at home and have hired cleaning people before. It’s hard to keep up sometimes – and I am home all day.

3. I’ve never heard myths about working moms. I have only heard myths about SAHM. Moms are moms and I think moms do the best for them and their kids.

4. I am a SAHM primarily and I wish I want someone to clean my home! I know many working Moms who wish they could be SAHMs, many SAHMs who wish they could work some to get some adult interaction in, and both who are totally happy with their work status. I think it’s individualized and every Mom is doing her best for her family. Great post!

5. I certainly don’t believe any of those old myths. I have been on both sides of the fence and I can tell you… it is so much easier being a stay at home mom. At least for me it was.
    Kudos to those of you that can balance working and Motherhood.

6. Not being a Mom I would NEVER try to put myself in their shoes. I do know lots of my friends who were/are working Mom’s and their kids were treated no different then those friends were stay at home Mom’s. From what I could see both have their problems–but then life itself is filled with difficulties whether you are a parent or not–One other thong–I have never known a Mom who did not take care of her children to the best of her ability.

7. Jennifer Williams says:

I have been a working mom as well as a SAHM and bot jobs are hard. I think we all do what we feel is best for our families and nobody should ever feel guilty for doing so. The only thing I hate is that now that I am a SAHM I hear – oh, you just stay at home all day – like I am currently worthless and do nothing. If that were only true, my outside the home job was much easier than working at home.

8. I definitely didn’t want to work full time once I had my kids. But I know other people don’t have that choice, or have their own reasons.

9. I have always wanted to hire someone to help with the cleaning, but Nicole refuses to let me. It would save so much time though…

10. I need to hire someone to clean and not just because I work out of the house. I think I would suck if I stayed home 🙂

11. Being a SAHM myself, I have alwyas admired working moms tremendously. All moms have tough jobs, no matter where your paying job takes you. Great post!

• Yep, me too. It’s hard work just getting up and pushing your kids out the door and getting yourself ready. I don’t know anyone that doesn’t have much respect for these hard working moms, maybe because they know I would tell them otherwise 😉 lol

12. People love to talk. There are just as many myths about SAHM’s as well as WAHM’s. Nobody can ever get it just right. I work from home and still face some of the same challenges. Nothing else should matter once you try to do what’s best for you and your family.

13. I definitely see people with these opinions. The whole working versus staying at home, versus working at home debate is a silly one. Every parent does what is best for their family.

14. I’ve never really been a working mom
    Minus my blog now I haven’t a clue what it’s like to work outside the home!

15. Rachelle J says:

I think instead on looking at the differences between Working Moms and Stay at Home Moms, we should all just focus on being MOMS which is awesome no matter which way you do it 🙂

16. Wow—cannot believe this is still an argument. It was huge when I was raising my kids (they are grown and I have awesome grandbabies now) and working full time to make sure they had everything they needed. I say whatever works best for your family is what you should do, and not worry about what anyone else says— they aren’t supporting your family.

17. I have both worked and stayed home. I’ve been home for 8 years now blogging online for a full-time living and I can tell you, it gets crazy busy here – just like any office environment. I’m the worst boss ever. lol I don’t hear to many of these things about working moms, most people respect the working mom these days.

18. I’ve been a working mom and a stay at home mom. It’s important to find what works for you and your family and not to judge others for what works for them.

19. Helene Cohen Bludman says:

You make valid points. I think the debate about who works harder is crazy and it should stop. All moms work hard.

20. I think everyone should stop worrying about what anyone else is doing, and just appreciate the fact that being a mom is hard work, no matter what!

21. One thing I liked about working outside of the home was that I felt busier. I was much more efficient when I got home from work.

22. I think Mums should be able to do what they want, my Mum went back to work when I went to school and I was very proud of her.

23. I worked professionally for over 33 years and my husband and I have two sons. There was a point when I was going to school in the evening to get my post graduate degree and working two jobs because I had taken a new job as a Resource Nurse for LAUSD and I felt I was going to lose my skills as an ICU/Open Heart nurse if I didn’t keep my hands in it. It was tough, but I had a wonderful husband who pitched in with whatever he could do and we made it work.

To be honest with you, at the time I did not really know many mothers who were not working in my circle so I did not really hear to many negative comments about working mothers. We all do what we want and need to do and we need to just “worry about ourselves” and not what others think.

24. I have heard a lot of these myths. I don’t think it matters if you are working or not, there are opinions on both side of the fence either way.

25. I hate it when people try to act that all of any group behavior in the same manner. So untrue! Working moms are great.

26. I’ve seen many working mothers who give tons of love and affection to their kids, can’t believe these myths actually exist

27. I’ve been a single mom for almost 13 years now. I was young when I first became a mother and now take care of 3 beautiful children on my own. I work a full time job, I’m in my last full time semester in college for my second degree, and I work another part time job one day a week, but I make sure I gave my one day of every week that is dedicated to my children. They are far from being lack attention by any means. The school and the daycare adore my children. I think juggling so much in my life is actually very beneficial to my children. It teaches them to understand that if you want something in life you have to work for it. My soon to be 13 year old is already looking into places that hire at 14 with a workers permit. I’d have to say I’m proud of being a single working mom and I wouldn’t have it any other way! To you ladies out there raising your children, GO YOU! It doesn’t matter how you do so as long as them children know and understand that you love them!

28. Myths are just that, myths. I think there’s nothing wrong with a mother that works. I worked hard to get into my career & I plan to keep that license that I worked hard for.

29. You’ve got some great, very valid points here. I have the opposite thing going on right now. When we moved and decided to have one last child, I ended up staying home with him. People think I SHOULD be working. I think you can’t win either way…there’s always dissenters, so you just do what’s best for you.

30. You’ve go that right ‘being a mom is hard despite being extremely rewarding at the same time. ‘ I was a single mom for many years and was led to a job that my son could be at work with me after school – and I so enjoyed him being with me more – we all work hard for our money!

31. Debbie Denny says:

Life has changed over the years for many moms. Still working or not… Moms still want the best for their kids.

32. Thank you for this great post. I am a working mom and I often hear these statements. They infuriate me

33. Ann Bacciaglia says:

I have never thought of a working Mom as being selfish. Working Moms are basically working two full time jobs. They are doing what needs to be done for there family.

34. I thought most women were working moms these days. Why would someone question their commitment to their families. Hmmmm. Guess I am just in my own world as a single mom, entrepreneur, because I don’t give a rats butt what anyone thinks about how I run my family either way

35. One of the myths is that “working moms have it ALL together” I believe working moms stress just as much as other moms but maybe look a little more polished since a workforce career doesn’t allow for a yoga pant wardrobe. I feel like everyone carries themselves more confidently in a professional wardrobe.

Trackbacks