Monitor Your Child’s Mobile Phone Or Internet Usage! @WebSafetyInc #Ad

20141001_190333_wm

disclosure    As many of you know, my eleven-year old son just recently got his own mobile phone less than a year ago.  I really wasn’t considering even getting him one until he started playing basketball for his school team.  Due to regular practices during the week and games on the weekends, it became important for his father and I to be able to communicate with him to find out when we should head out to pick him up.  Before we even purchased the phone, we had a long family meeting where we established the rules around him having a phone and asked him to commit to abiding by those rules at all times.

Although our son has done a pretty good job of using his new phone responsibly, there have been a few instances where I had to use the parental controls to limit the access to some of the websites that he was visiting.  Many of them weren’t overtly inappropriate but I felt the humor or content wasn’t a good fit for a boy his age.  As a parent and educator, I’m also worried about the threat of Internet predators having access to my son’s information or even engaging him online.  I’m sure that it’s a real concern that most parents have in today’s technologically advanced times.

Screen Shot 2014-10-01 at 6.49.31 PM

In my infinite quest to learn more about all the ways that can better monitor my sons’ mobile phone or Internet usage, I found out that WebSafety is the first app that offers real-time alerts to parents like me that notify us of potentially dangerous online behaviors that our children are engaging in.  Unfortunately, school bullying is rampant and, since most kids hide their online activities from their parents, it often escalates to dangerous levels before it’s even detected.  Add to that the threat of kids exchanging messages and inappropriate content with strangers and you have a recipe for disaster.

Screen Shot 2014-10-01 at 6.46.16 PM

Rowland Day, the creator of WebSafety, was motivated to do so because he witnessed a horrible tragedy occur when his friend’s two children committed suicide due to cyberbullying.  He was immediately inspired to affect change in order to help parents like his friends prevent horrific situations like this one from ever happening again.  WebSafety provides a way for parents to effectively monitor their child’s texting, social media activity and any inappropriate Internet use.

Here is how WebSafety works:

• Parents can download the app onto their child’s Internet-enabled device(s) as well as their own device(s)
  • Parents can set keywords and alerts based on preferences and needs. For example, profanities may not be a big deal to some parents but other keywords like “drugs” or “pregnant” are.
  • Parents receive real-time alerts based on preferences (e.g., a child uses those keywords, uploads images to social media sites, visits an inappropriate website, uses phone past a certain time at night).
  • Parents can visit an online dashboard to view activity on the child’s device as little or as often as necessary.
  • Then, as needed, start a conversation when issues arise.

Screen Shot 2014-10-01 at 6.45.20 PM

WebSafety is currently available nationwide on Android and an iOs version is planned for early 2015.  For a limited time, the first 25,000 WebSafety subscribers will receive WebSafety at half price. Those subscribers can choose any package, either for a six-month period or for one year, for 50% of the retail price.  This is a great offer considering that you can’t put a price on the safety of your child or your peace of mind!

Let’s Discuss:  What are some of your concerns when it comes to your child’s mobile phone or Internet usage?

Disclosure: This is a sponsored campaign created in collaboration with WebSafety Inc. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

© 2014, Tough Cookie Mommy. All rights reserved.

Comments

1. My son is 10, in the 5th grade, and for some reason he thinks he’s getting a phone next year when he’s in middle school. He doesn’t have any reason like your son to have one, so I don’t think he needs one and he’s going to be very disappointed next September.

2. A BIG concern was when my daughter DL Snapchat onto the phone we use for games. She thought it was just a picture thing and fun since it had a ghost on the app page.. UM.. I told her sorry,, baby girl,, never…

3. My daughter gets off of the school bus and immediately watches a show on the iPad. I immediately had her turn one off today because of language I was hearing like “jerk” and “stupid”. I need to enable those parental controls!

4. Lois Alter Mark says

I’m so glad my kids were older before technology became such a huge part of our lives. I think it would be so hard to constantly have to worry about the internet and cell phones.

5. paulaschuck says

Oh darling!! I have a 13 year old and we are negotiating this space right now. My dd is a great child but she is young and this is new and she needs to understand that I have safety first in mind. I am very interested in this safety service. I honestly found on dd’s iPad the other day an email clearly from a stranger with a totally inappropriate topic. So I have her email and her passwords etc. but I also feel I need more.

6. I am a lot more lax on my kids mobile phone use now that they are both older, but I used to do daily checks with them when they first got them.

7. Our 11yr old just got a phone and I’ve been looking for something like this. Hoping they get that iOS version out soon!

8. Monitoring your child’s virtual access is SO SO important. Even as an adult I’ve been duped by disgusting perverts. This is a great to have.

9. This is a great idea to monitor this. My son is still younger, but I worry about him spending too much time on digital stuff at the expense of sports, exercise, practicing reading, etc. I see him get so hooked into electronic stuff so I limit him.

10. jaimemckee says

My son is just 3, so doesn’t have a phone, and our tablet is an iPad. I think this is a great service for kids with more devices and I’m excited to see what they have planned for iOS next year!

11. Rebecca Bryant says

I need this as son will be getting his first phone soon.

12. I’m totally with you on monitoring! I do worry about what my children will have access to, so it’s great to have programs to support our parenting efforts!

13. This is a great idea. I think I may get a program like this. Amber N

14. It’s so scary the kinds of dangers that kids can get into online. It’s great to have things like this for parents who are worried about cyberbullying and other risks!

15. This sounds great. I am always scared of the internet. You never know what may happen.

16. Helene Bludman says

Parents have to be so vigilant these days. I think this is an excellent tool to give parents some control.

17. You just never know what is online. Monitoring is key for kids!

18. We gave in and got a mobile phone for our 11 yr. old because of after school activities and practices as well. I will have to check out Web Safety Inc. Thanks for sharing.

19. Motivating Mommy says

This is my kind of app! With so much going on on cyber bullying, you just want to make sure your kid is safe.

20. Ann Bacciaglia says

I really like this app. I wish i would have known about this when my kids were first using cell phones. I like that you can set the key words so you can receive an alert.

21. What a great app it is so scary just what can be found on the internet. x

22. Maria Sinclair says

Sounds like an extremely useful app! We like to monitor our children’s internet usage as well. You just never know!

23. I LOVE this. My son has a smartphone and I love that I can keep an eye on everything he does.

24. I am usually right beside my kids when they are online. I also tell them not to click on anything except for the program they are currently in. You definitely can’t be too careful.

25. I did worry when my oldest was younger. I put on some apps that limited who he could call and when he could make calls and text.

26. Veronica Solomon says

I really need to get this fro my kids computers. You can’t be too careful these days with online security

27. mail4rosey says

That’s awesome that it’s half price for a limited time. It sounds like it could be very beneficial.

28. Interesting. My son just got a phone, so I can track him and all. We use At&T, for smart limits and things. This is interesting

29. This is a great app to have for the kids. I’m going to look into it for my 15 year old Son, thanks for the info!

30. I need to get this app for my son. He spends a lot of time on various devices!

31. Web safety is a great concern for any parent these days and something to think about whenever they start using an electronic device.

32. Melissa Vera says

When my girls were younger I was really concerned with the amount of texts that were sending and receiving. I love that this app helps ease parents minds.

33. This is so great! I need this for my boys!!!!

34. Melissa Smith says

My kids are still a bit young to need their own phones, but we do let them play with tablets on occasion. This would allow them to be able to play more without me having to sit right next to them.

35. April Mims says

This is such a great app for parents to have. It’s so easy for kids to say inappropriate things via text or social media. And with all the secretive apps now, it’s easy for kids to hide their activity.

36. What a cool app to have for parents with children that use mobile phones and are on the internet unsupervised. I’m keeping this app in mind for when my children reach that stage in life.