Celebrating 30 Years Of Marriage With My In-Laws!

2014-09-21 21.25.25_wm

The family with my beaming In-Laws at the head of the table.

This weekend, I had the pleasure of celebrating their 30th wedding anniversary with my In-Laws.  They celebrated this special milestone with their three children and three out of their four grandchildren.

It was heartwarming to see how much in love they still are with one another after being together for so many years.  I could tell by their beaming smiles how happy they were to be surrounded by their kids and grandkids and it really made me reflect on what they both have meant to me since Hubby and I have been together.

You see, although my Mother In Law Donna is technically my husband’s stepmother, she has always treated me like a daughter and always made me feel like part of the family.  Additionally, my husband has never considered her anything less than his mother.

In light of the fact that my husband’s biological mother does not speak to me or to my children, the fact that Donna has stepped into both the roles of Mother in Law to me and grandmother to our boys has increased my love and respect for her.

20140919_212050_wm

The Sushi Boat that we all enjoyed together.

Both of my sons love her very much and it brings me a lot of joy to see them exchanging affection with her and she with them.  Knowing that she is such an important part of their lives makes me secure in the fact that they are not lacking for any love in the grandparent department.

They say that certain people come into your life for a reason.  I know that she was sent not only into my Father In Law’s life thirty years ago to give him a second chance at having a family, but she was also sent into mine and my children’s lives to fill the void of having a loving Mother In Law and grandmother.

The grandkids happy to celebrate with the rest of the family.

The grandkids happy to celebrate with the rest of the family.

This November, my husband and I will be celebrating fifteen years of marriage, God willing.  I hope that we will be able to one day catch up to my In-Laws and celebrate thirty years together as well.

In times when divorced marriages are on the rise and many children come from broken homes, there is something to be said for the fact that my children are witnessing long, happy marriages from their parents and grandparents.  Hopefully, we are teaching them what it means to truly love someone and to stand beside them through the test of time and life…

Let’s Discuss:  How many years have your parents or in-laws been married and what have they taught you about marriage?

© 2014, Tough Cookie Mommy. All rights reserved.

Perdue Farms Special Offer

Comments

1. Great post! Love the sense of family and cherishing moments, plus love the Japanese food 🙂

2. Awww, it sounds like Donna is an amazing woman! My parents have been married for 41 years and my in laws are at 42!

3. talk about a wonderful moment to celebrate. These are times to cherish.

4. Congrats on them to making it to 30! It does seem to be a rarer feat these days.

5. WOW, check out that Sushi! YUM! Congratulations to your in-laws. My parents are coming up on their 39th next year.

6. 30 years.. wow.. we hit the 15 yr mark this year.. Congrats on your 15 year milestone

7. Lois Alter Mark says

We just celebrated 33 years! We could be your in-laws!!

8. Rebecca Bryant says

My parents have been married for 37 years this Wednesday and i’ve been married 22yrs.

9. What a wonderful celebration – congratulations to your in-laws. Hubby and I are both adult orphans, but as you know, we recently celebrated our 24th Wedding Anniversary, so hopefully we are setting a good example to our sons.

10. Looks like it was a nice celebration. Congrats to your In-Laws on so many years of marriage. May they have many more happy years together.

11. Carmen Nimo Perez says

Very nice family gathering. I just celebrated my 19th wedding anniversay a few days ago, and my parents have been married for 54 years. So we also believe in staying married and making it work. So many divorces nowadays, it’s so sad.

12. Beautiful looking family, beautiful looking Sushi too! My husband and I will be celebrating our 22nd wedding anniversary this December and we dated for yrs. before that, so we are an old couple. 😉 My parents were married for 40 years until my Dad passed away, so we firmly believe in happy, long marriages.

13. Motivating Mommy says

That is awesome. This weekend I celebrated turning 30….lol. Congrats on 30 years.

14. Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell says

My parents were married 50+ when my dad died. I always admired their commitment and love for each other. I was married 25 years myself.

15. That’s wonderful that they have been married for so long. I hope that my husband and I are a good example for my own son.

16. My in-laws have been married over 50 years. It’s nice to celebrate with them on their day, and it looks like it was nice for you to celebrate with your in-laws as well!

17. 30 is amazing! Happy 30 years and 30 more to them! Very rare now a days to hear about such long marriages, but it sure is nice to hear!

18. Happy Anniversary!! What a wonderful way to celebrate! Congrats to you both!

19. My parents were married for 52 years before my dad died and my inlaws were only married for 1 year 🙂 I’m hoping my marriage last as long as my parents but its tough at times.

20. My parents have been married for 46 years next month. They have always stuck it out in their marriage and worked through their problems. It is nice to see.

21. Wow. 30 years that is something really big to celebrate.

22. My parents have been married for about 45 years. It’s amazing.

23. Is it really bad I’m not sure how long my parents have been married :/ I believe it could be coming on for 40 years. I was thinking 30 then realised I’m almost 30 so that threw that out of the pram – I think they were married around 10 years before they had me :).

24. Oh this is a great post! What a wonderful marriage example. My Mother in law and father in law marked their 30th I think but they both passed away a few years ago. I loved them very much and they were an amazing example of great parenting and great marriage. They were just great people to know. That sushi boat looks wonderful BTW!

25. Congratulations, definitely a reason to celebrate! Here’s to 30 more!

26. My mom and step-dad have been together for 18 years and they’ve taught me that despite what circumstances come your way, grace goes along way. Trust and honest open lines of communication are imperative to have, and you have to be able to laugh at life both with and at each other, LOL! You have to have each others back, and support each others hopes and dreams. Be faithful to one another, even when temptation is so strong you can taste it, you have to be willing to sacrifice that moment of a good time for your marriage, because that’s the person you chose, that’s the person that you’ve promised to be in the trenches with in good times and bad, that’s your person. I guess you can say I’ve learned a lot from them in the time they’ve been together. :=) lol

27. Looks like a wonderful celebration! My parents have been married 38 years, and my in-laws 32! Awesome examples!

28. TouristMeetsTraveler says

30 years! Now that’s a long time, congratulations.

29. Congrats to your in-laws! 30 years is amazing! I think my in-laws are at about the 40 year mark. It’s such a blessing when you can find that true love that stands the test of time like that!

30. Veronica Solomon says

30 years! Wow! Amazing! And hanging out with the in-laws after 30 years is an achievement in itself. Congrats to you and hubby

31. Congrats on hitting 30 years! Here’s to another decade to you both 🙂

32. Great to see this loyalty. Yea a true rarity in this day and age. Congratulations.

33. 3citygirlsnyc says

I love that this Stepmother embraces and your children and that you feel the love! That is what familia is all about. What a blessing! Congratulations to your in laws.

34. Before my Mother passed 2 years ago, my parents were looking at 36 years! My husband and I have been married for 7.. 7 awesome years!

35. Ann Bacciaglia says

My parents will be celebrating 50 years of marriage this February. Unfortunately they will be in Florida so we wont be able to celebrate with them.

36. Congrats to them and you!! We are celebrating our 11th anniversary this weekend. I can’t wait until 30 or 50!

37. April @ Everyday Fitness and n says

30 years of marriage is amazing! My parents and in-laws were examples of what NOT to do. I’ve been married almost 22 years – which is longer than any of them were married.

38. Wow 30 years – that is impressive – congrats to them! 🙂

39. What a great fete! It looks like the spread was awesome too!