*This sponsored post was written by me on behalf of Mind Gamez LLC. I received a product sample to review. All opinions are 100% mine.
It’s no secret that I am madly in love with literacy and language acquisition. Obviously, I have had a love affair with reading and learning my whole life and that is why I chose to pursue a career as an educator and a Literacy Specialist. Reading can open up a whole new world for children and, nowadays, with the integration of technology the limits to learning are endless. History Hero is the first app of its kind to use literacy to enhance families’ visits to the world’s greatest historical and cultural destinations.
The premise behind this app is to use the lure of technology to bring history to life for children and teenagers by engaging them in learning during their travels. It infuses excitement into sightseeing in a whole new way that has never been available before. This mission is accomplished by using an interactive video game to bring history to life in a way that audio tours and guidebooks never could.
The app was developed by Mitch Zamoff. He is a lawyer, law school teacher and father of three from Minnesota. The idea for this app came to him while he was traveling through Europe with his family. His goal was to make family trips to historical destinations more engaging, interactive and full of great memories while still encouraging learning.
The way it works is that it recruits children ages 4 and up to “report to duty” at 23 of the world’s top historical sites in the U.S. and Europe. Players are called upon to rescue artifacts, answer multiple choice questions about those artifacts, and take a photo to preserve the artifact for history. As kids learn more about history, they earn points and receive the Medal of Honor upon successful completion of the mission.
- I loved the fact that the app was structured much like a video game which made it appealing to my son. He was able to pick a character to guide him through the mission much like any other video game.
- We were able to choose our city, New York City, and have a sightseeing adventure at a NYC cultural institution.
- It integrates literacy and technology and kids are actively reading the questions and the information about each artifact while they are sightseeing.
- Children learn about following directions and sequence of events by having to complete each step of the mission in chronological order.
- The app is very user friendly and the difficulty level can be tailored to suit the learning needs of kids, teenagers, and adults.
- My absolute favorite part of this app are the learning cards that kids have to read once they collect each artifact. They are full of facts about the artifact and its history. I loved the conversations that I was able to have with my son around the artifacts using this information.
- I would have liked to see more vivid graphics in this app since the content is so engaging. The colors within the app are a little limited.
- Although this app is available for use in the world’s major cultural and historical destinations, it is not currently available everywhere yet.
As an educator, I think it’s great that this app attempts to bridge the gap between culture, history and technology. In a society where our young people shy away from anything that is not integrated with the Internet, this app provides an opportunity for young people to become excited about learning history again. Also, it’s a great way to keep kids engaged and focused during family travels.
History Hero It is currently available for download at the App store for the price of $4.99. Make sure you also follow them on Twitter to learn everything you can about saving the world through learning about history. You can download the app today and, rest assured, sightseeing with your family will never be the same!
Our sponsor wants you to take your own sightseeing adventure with your family using History Hero. They are giving away a $50 AMEX gift card to help you fund that adventure and a $10 iTunes card so you can download the History Hero app on your Apple device for your adventure! One reader of Tough Cookie Mommy will win this awesome prize!a Rafflecopter giveaway
Product Review/Giveaway disclosure: I received one or more of the products mentioned above from Mind Gamez LLC to test/review/giveaway in exchange for my opinion and for the purpose of writing this post. I only recommend products or services I use personally and I believe will be “family friendly.” I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commissions 16 CFR, Part 255 “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
© 2013, Tough Cookie Mommy. All rights reserved.