When I was a kid, I remember visiting my grandmother and taking my bike to the park to spend all day outdoors with my friends. Throughout the day, we would get hot and thirsty from playing “Red Light, Green Light, 123,” “British Bulldog,” and Freeze Tag.
To cool off, we would visit one of the neighbors who made homemade ices and buy one each for only a quarter. I have such fond memories of sitting on the edge of the curb with my buddies enjoying these cool and refreshing ices.
Now that I’m a mom, I want to prepare some of the treats that I enjoyed during my childhood with my own sons so I am always on the lookout for ways that I could replicate them right here at home. I’m a teacher so I have summers off and I greatly enjoy spending time with my boys and also enjoying cool desserts when we get overheated during our warm weather outings and adventures.
One of the ways that we get refreshed after a long, hot day here in New York City is by enjoying some homemade ice pops. I’m excited to share our recipe with all of you so you could enjoy them with your families this summer!
HOMEMADE ICE POPS
- 1 box of orange gelatin
- 1 box of watermelon gelatin
- 2-4 small cups of vanilla yogurt
- Small plastic cups or popsicle molds that you can throw away later.
- Wooden popsicle sticks
- Mix up the watermelon gelatin by following the directions on the package.
- Fill each plastic cup or mold ⅓ of the way full with the watermelon gelatin and store in the freezer (approximately for 30 minutes or until it is fully frozen)
- Mix up the orange gelatin by following the directions on the package.
- Fill each cup/mold ⅔ way full with the orange gelatin, add popsicle stick and place in freezer (approximately 30 minutes or until fully frozen)
- Next, add the vanilla yogurt on top of each frozen mold and place in the freezer (approximately for 30 minutes or until it is fully frozen)
Let’s Discuss: What are some of your favorite summer treats to enjoy with your family?
© 2015, Tough Cookie Mommy. All rights reserved.