We Attended The Toyota Teen Driver Safety Clinic! #TeenDrive365 @Toyota #Ad

*This is part of a sponsored campaign with Toyota. However, all opinions expressed are my own.

20140913_121207_wm

Last week, my tween and I had the pleasure of attending a FREE “Teen Driver Safety Clinic” for teens and their parents at the CityWorld Toyota dealer here in the Bronx.  It was a wonderful opportunity for me to demonstrate to my son how critical it is to learn as much as we can about the vehicles that we drive, the roads that we use, and to teach him what a serious responsibility being a driver is.

20140913_093237_wm

Toyota dealers in the New York and New Jersey Tri-state area are hosting a series of FREE TeenDrive365 Safety Clinics in the months of September and October. The experience includes a safe driving simulator along with a classroom learning session that covers defensive driving tips, car operations, car safety features, and basic maintenance.  Toyota understands that the driver is the best safety device in any car and want to teach teens that, once they get behind the wheel, it’s up to them to drive safely and defensively.

20140913_093426_wm

The Teen Driver Safety Clinic that we attended was taught by Jim Million and he did a great job of teaching in-vehicle safety basics as well as tools for avoiding distractions while driving.  He emphasized the importance of having a safety system to follow while maintaining open communication with your teens when they begin to drive.

20140913_121709_wm

My son experiencing the safe driving simulator.

During the clinic, my son and I learned about understanding vehicle safety systems.  I was also glad that they addressed proper seating position, mirror adjustments, and proper safety belt adjustment.  This was important to me because I want my son to understand that there is a lot to driving besides just sitting behind the wheel and turning the car on.

20140913_121729_wm

This is what my son was seeing during the safe driving simulator.

By being actively involved when my sons start driving and enforcing rules related to the principal risks for teens such as passengers, driving at night, and using cell phones or texting while driving, I hope that they will be safer drivers when the time comes.

20140913_120334_wm

The teens/tweens get their safe driving certificates of completion.

Ultimately, the goal of these clinics are to save lives.  We learned that statistics show that a teen’s first year of driving is one of the most dangerous years of their life.  Additionally, most teens get their driving habits from their parents which is why it is crucial for us to be good driving role models to our kids.

20140913_094021_wm

These clinics are for teens and parents to attend together. Space is limited with just 60 available spots at each dealership so you have to register for you and your child to attend as soon as possible!

RSVP To Attend Upcoming Teen Driver Safety Clinics In New York And New Jersey:

• 10/04: Gault Toyota Endicott, NY
  • 10/05: Lia Toyota of Colonie Schenectady, NY
  • 10/11: DCH Toyota City Mamaroneck, NY
  • 10/12: DCH Freehold Toyota Freehold, NJ
  • 10/18: Millennium Toyota Hempstead, NY
  • 10/19: Penn Toyota Greenvale, NY
  • 10/25: Autoland Toyota Springfield, NJ
  • 10/26: Bay Ridge Toyota Brooklyn, NY

Let’s Discuss:  When did you begin to drive and what support did you get from your parents or the adult male role models in your life to help you to be a safer driver?

Disclosure: This is part of a sponsored campaign with Toyota. However, all opinions expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

© 2014, Tough Cookie Mommy. All rights reserved.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. I think it’s awesome that Toyota is doing this. My step son just got his licence and it kind of scares me to think I am sharing the road with him LOL.

2. Lois Alter Mark says:

This is such a great idea. Anything that makes kids safer drivers is so important. I used to sweat when I took my kids out driving!

3. I think this should be mandatory before any teen gets their license. This is a greta progra.

4. I love this. I wish this was a part of the driving test. We need more safety on the road.

5. paulaschuck says:

Driving is a huge responsibility and daunting too. These clinics are a great idea! I would have done one as a teenager myself. Another three years and my daughter could very much benefit from something like this. Nice job Toyota!

6. They use a VR system now? Boy how things have changed…

7. That is sooo cool. My tween son would have loved to attend. I’m sorry there’s none here but maybe when he’s ready to start driving we’ll have one.

8. Jennifer Williams says:

This is such a great thing that they are doing. I will have to see of our local one does it and take my son.

9. Rebecca Bryant says:

Hubby is already talking teaching son to drive. I need to see if they offer something like this near me.

10. Pretty cool! Those are close to me, maybe i should take my son there.

11. mena & taty says:

I hope they bring these workshops down South very soon. How cool that they incorporate technology to give the kids the reality check

12. Helene Bludman says:

This is excellent. I wish every major city would offer this program.

13. This looks like a great workshop for teens! I think the safe driving simulator is neat.

14. What a cool event. I started driving at 15 1/2 and my dad taught me. He took me out on the highway pretty quick and I was terrified but I learned that way.

15. That is such a cool experience and your kiddo looks thrilled to attend! I would take my child to this definitely.

16. Ashley Bunker says:

I wholeheartedly believe that a teenagers first year of driving is the most unsafe. I fear the day that is the day my child gets his drivers license, so it is really nice to see car manufacturers stepping up to the plate and advocating for safety.

17. Amber Nelson says:

Looks like a lot of fun. I do love Toyota! I drive a Camry and love it.

18. TouristMeetsTraveler says:

Teenagers need to be taught how important it is to be safe on the road.

19. This is really important and I am glad they have these type of programs.

I got my license on the day I turned 16. Both of my parents worked with me on driving but we did have both driver’s ed and training at our school way back when and it was mandatory.

My sons took a course that I had to pay for and they had both myself and my husband to help them.

20. Chrystal M. says:

I am glad they have these types of programs. Kiddo is only 9 so we have a little while before we have to worry about her on the road.

21. Melissa Vera says:

What a great opportunity to not only spend time with your son but also to educate him on driving safely. I wish they have something like that here.

22. Where were these programs when I was growing up? This is an awesome oppertunity! I would love to attend whenever they are in New Jersey.

23. My parents taught me how to drive … stick shift no less. It definitely required some patience. We went to neighborhoods where there were no houses yet to practice. Glad to see there are now more advanced ways to do all this 🙂

24. 3citygirlsnyc@gmail.com says:

I actually got my drivers license 9 years ago but my aunt taught me to drive at 15 years old. I also taught my stepsons how to drive 3 years ago. They now have their permits and are going for their driving test in a few weeks. I would have to say that my role models behind the wheel were my aunts 🙂

25. Motivating Mommy says:

This looks like a really good time. I am sure your son will be an excellent driver when the time comes.

26. What a great event! My son has done that test too at the fair! A good lesson to learn!

27. This is very cool. Teens are easily distracted on a good day, so this is a really great thing to take them to.

28. Those are all lessons that are going to stick with him, I’m sure. Love that you got to go together, I think that’s fun. 🙂

29. Babita@BabsProjects says:

This sounds like a great program. I can see that they have an event near by my township. If I have the time, I will definitely check it out with my teen.

30. I learned at 15. At the time, my mother was a car saleswoman. She taught me how to drive and drive well. I am amazed how people take driving a vehicle that weighs over a ton so lightly. This sounds like a great program. My son still has 6 years before he starts. I can certainly wait.

31. I actually learned to drive when I was 28, so not too long ago. So I could use one of these driver safety clinics. What a great service!

32. Melissa Smith says:

I really love that there was an event like this. I bet a ton of tweens could benefit from a driving simulator!

33. Meagan Bailiff says:

i basically taught myself to drive, before i even got a license. It wasn’t until i had a bad accident that i really learned safe driving, i hope my daughter can do something like this to learn.

34. Thrill of the Chases says:

What a cool event! I actually checked out the TeenDrive365 event to see when they would be in Texas- not until next March but we will sign up when the date is closer!

35. paulakiger says:

I really wish we had had something like this here in Tallahassee when my daughter was learning to drive! Great event!