This morning, a tragic event took place in my neighborhood, right around the corner from my house. It all started at approximately 7:45 a.m. I was driving to work and talking to my mother on the Bluetooth while I was driving. While we were talking, I heard the faint sound of sirens in the background behind her and remember thinking it was weird because we live in a very quiet community where you hardly hear any city sounds at all. Since I was rushing to get to work, I never even had time to ask her what was going on and eventually ended the conversation and entered my job.
Fast forward to this afternoon, I am driving home from work when I notice at least 4 different news vans parked all around the corner at the end of my block. I immediately started wondering if the sirens I had heard that morning while I was talking to my Mom had anything to do with it. Without stopping, I drove up to my house and called my husband who proceeded to tell me that a fire had broken out in one of the houses around the corner shortly after I left for work. He went on to describe how he had witnessed them pulling human bodies out of the blaze charred and black with soot.
It seems that an 83-year-old woman and her disabled adult son were trapped in their home when it was engulfed in flames at around 7:30 a.m. It took around 60 firefighters to finally put out the blaze and attempt to save both of them. Unfortunately, it was too late for the mother as she was pronounced dead on arrival due to severe burns that she sustained as a result of the fire. Her son has been listed in serious condition and is being treated at a local hospital for burns and smoke inhalation.
This tragedy is a tremendous loss for our entire community. Some of my neighbors tried to get inside to help while firefighters arrived. It really says a lot about how much we care and look out for each other here. As I drove past the remains of the house this afternoon, crowds of people were still standing on the corner consoling each other and just trying to be there for one another during this time of loss and mourning.
Firefighters fought the blaze for almost an hour and finally got it under control. According to the FDNY, the fire was caused by a faulty electrical problem related to the refrigerator in the home. As I look around at my family this evening, I am reminded how fortunate we all are each and every single day. For all of the minute things that we complain about on a daily basis, it is truly a blessing to have my children and husband here safe and sound by my side. It really is so true that, no matter how bad things may seem, there is someone out there worse off. So today, you will hear no complaints from me, none whatsoever…
© 2013, Tough Cookie Mommy. All rights reserved.